Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Watch your language!

This post is dedicated to my sisters "Mindy" and "Sarah." Together, they taught me to have better understandings of language, and how to use it properly.

Do you know how many words there are in the dictionary? Because I don't. I mean, come on - what seventeen year old girl, or anyone for that matter, sits there and reads Webster's?!

Sometimes it's not about quantity, it's really about the quality.

Each word that comes out of our mouths has the potential to be so powerful and full of essence. Unfortunately, in today's society, the English language has become such a twist. People say things that they had no intention of saying. For example, (on a smaller note) you're sitting in class, staring at the clock anxiously waiting for class to be over. Then suddenly.... ACHOOOO!
As you quickly cover your nose you kindly ask your friend if you could borrow a tissue. And indeed, she gives you the tissue, you do your business, and you throw it out. Now, do you realize that you just asked if you could borrow a tissue. EWW! The last time I checked, the conditions of borrowing something only goes if you agree to give it back. Therefor, I will not, under and circumstances, lend you a TISSUE!

The point of my blog is not to teach you what not to do if your nose begins to run. The purpose of this was, well... you'll see.

Another commonly misused word is retarded. Boy do I hate that word, and I hate it even more when people think they're using it correctly - but they're not! According to Webster's Third New International Dictionary (yes, call me a nerd - I really did look it up) the word retarded means slow of limited in intellectual development, in emotionally development, or in academic process, or in other words: handicapped. Well that changes everything! Because so says my class that yesterday's math quiz was retarded. Really???? You could have fooled me! I did not know that my math quiz was handicapped!

The word retarded rolls off people's tongue as if they're saying hello. No, it does not mean crazy, and some take it very personally. I come from a family that has much involvement with children with special needs, so when I hear that word I feel it's as if someone is stabbing me in the back. I know this sounds crazy, but if you don't know what a word really means ask someone, or look it up! Trust me, you'll sound a lot smarter if you do.

Now do you get the point of my blog?!

7 comments:

psyched said...

*applauds*

You hit it on the nail, girl.

You know I hate the misuse of that word just as much as you.

LittleBirdies said...

You're very wise for your age. Most people in their 20', 30's ...don't think about or analyze their lives as you seem to from this blog. I'm impressed!

Flutist said...

thank you, thank you - you're making me blush!

Bas~Melech said...

Point taken.

But as far as I know, the definition of "retarded" is slow or delayed. Nothing to do with handicapped except the connotation and when used in the phrase "mentally retarded." Granted, it's been abused and is hardly used properly anymore...

But yes, it is definitely out of context when referring to a math quiz!

(Personally, I find "handicapped" more offensive than "retarded." The technical definition you quoted is rather literal and objective, whereas handicapped originated as an insult. It also implies inability, whereas "retarded" doesn't jump to conclusions like that.)

ProfK said...

Language expands and changes sometimes through borrowing words already in existence and giving them new meanings. "Jargon" frequently does this. A "retarded" math test is no different from a computer having a "bug." Both words are part of a jargon, and both have meanings different from other usages of the words in question. The words are not being misused.

By the by, "to retard" is something that one can do to someone else and has the meaning of "holding back." Thus I can retard your progress by placing obstacles in your way. A landslide can retard motorists in their travels.

psyched said...

bas melech - as you mentioned, people use the word too often, especially within very inappropriate contexts. Yes, the word means slow/delayed. But then why would one say "ugh, I look so retarded" or "she's acting retarded - eww, what a dork."

I think that is the point my sister was getting at...

Flutist said...

My point of writing this blog was to tell everyone to think before you speak. Sometimes you can say something and not realize how insulting it was. And just because everyone says something one way doesn't mean it's right.